I’m officially afraid.
We are attending a child birth education class with the hospital where we will have the babies. I signed up for several reasons:
- The Hubs doesn’t know as much as I do about lady parts/birth/etc and sometimes I forget that – so this ensures he learns about it all.
- It came with a tour of the hospital <– we actually missed this class while I was in the hospital – needless to say, we didn’t really need a tour after a 5 day stint.
- There is a whole class devoted to breastfeeding.
Last night’s class was education on pain medication/options and cesarean sections. I was pretty knowledgable about my options. I was surprised to hear a girl in the class say she thought an epidural was “just a shot in your leg”. Perfect example as to why these classes are available.
Anyways, we watched a video on what they do during a C-section. This is important to me because with twins, it’s highly likely that I’ll need a C-section.
- They cut through the skin and fatty tissue really low on your belly — they might even shave some hairs….eek!
- The doctor moves your muscles aside.
- Then they stretch the opening and clamp it back (cringe worthy)
- The doctor carefully cuts the uterus and pulls the baby(ies) out the opening.
- Yay the babies are here!
- Wait, we’re not done yet. The doctor has to stitch or staple the three layered hole up – which takes about 45 more minutes.
- You have to heal from major abdominal surgery while taking care of brand new twins.
Did I mention I’m scared?
Many, many, many women have C-sections. Whether they are planned, unplanned or emergency, they happen all the time. It’s practically routine. I’m still scared. I think, overall, I’m becoming more anxious because there are going to be TWO babies. Not one. One newborn is a lot to handle in and of itself but I’m having twins. I know it’s possible. I’m just getting nervous.
The Hubs is staying home with me for the first two weeks and then my mom is coming for a week but after that…I’ll be on my own. I guess this is the opportunity to show off my super woman skills….right?